The island of Maui is a wonderful destination for families. While the island is known for its spectacular beaches, Maui also offers a variety of family-oriented activities on both land and sea.
Some of the best activities for families include the following:
- Molokini Snorkel Tours: A great trip where sea turtles and dolphins can be seen.
- Helicopter Tours: Helicopter tours are an exiting adventure for all.
- Whale Watching: Between the months of December and March, humpback whales can be seen as they gather in the waters near Maui to mate and have their young. Lots of whale watching companies offer inflatable boat trips out of Lahaina.
- Maui Ocean Center: This state-of-the-art aquarium features a tunnel that lets visitors walk right through a 750,000 gallon tank full of rays, sharks and a variety of fish. Children and adults will enjoy the shark tank filled with a variety of sharks and deep water fish. There is even an outdoor Sea Turtle sanctuary and touch pools.
- Surfing Lessons: The beaches of West Maui are an ideal place for children to learn to surf and there are a number of companies that offer surf schools and teach children to surf (as well as adults), no matter what their experience level.
- Maui Golf & Sports Park: Here, you will find two 18-hole miniature golf courses as well as bumper boats.
- Old Lahaina Luau: An extremely popular activity for children and adults is the Old Lahaina Luau where guests can enjoy the traditional ceremonies, such as hula dancing as well as food, songs and even games for children.
- Baby Beach/Lahaina: A great beach with calm waves that are ideal for children to play, swim and snorkel.
- Atlantis Submarine: Submarine tours take guests 100 feet deep through the West Maui waters and include a visit to a sunken whaling ship that was sunk to form an artificial reef. Please note children must be at least three feet in height.
- Haleakala Volcano: The Haleakala dormant volcano is over 10, 000 feet tall. Be prepared for at least a two-hour drive along a winding road up to the top of the volcano. Bring a jacket as temperatures at the top of the mountain can fall as low as 35 degrees. For the really motivated, you can arrive in early morning to watch the sunrise.
Renting a villa is the perfect choice for families as they offer the most room, full kitchens, and many are located either on a beach or they have their own pool.
No Ka Oi Hale is popular villa for families, with its beachfront location and large grassy lawn just perfect for children to romp.
The Lahaina Dream villa is an excellent choice for families, especially families traveling with other families. The villa has six bedrooms but may be rented at a 4, 5 or 6 bedroom rate. The home enjoys a wonderful location, private pool and is just minutes to town/Lahaina.
The lovely Keiki Kai is another wonderful villa for families. The home has a private pool and is located across the street from Baby Beach, which is known for being calm and a good choice for children. The home has a private pool and even a children’s playroom. Additionally, the home is walking distance to the town of Lahaina.